Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio Review
This past Christmas I went to visit my family in Indiana, you know how the roads are over this time the year being cold, and snowing at times well my CB Radio that I have owned for more than seven years decided to die on me. While visiting I thought to myself, I need to buy myself a new CB Radio for the road trip back as I have gotten so used to having one in my vehicle.
I visited one of the local Radio Shack stores, opted for buying the Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio, and hooked it up to my existing SWR meter and three foot FireStik antenna that consists of a magnet mount on the back.
Installing and Frequency of the Uniden PRO520XL
Thinking back to when I bought the Uniden PRO520XL, it was not that expensive and I was not looking for a radio packed with the latest technology, as I did not see myself using all the features and a waste. I only required a basic radio with no frills attached. The box itself contained the PRO520XL, the microphone and hook, a mounting bracket, the knobs, and mounting hardware.
The radio was easy to install and required no adjustments and reading between 1:0 and 1:5. The big test came on my way back home and was quite surprised that I could reach users up to 5 miles that were superb! Regrettably, on the way back home the semis that passed by forced me to remove the antenna as it nearly blew away.
The first thing I had done when arriving home is to take my radio to a friend of mine and had it tuned and peaked for me and now able to get 14 watts out of it instead of seven and can transmit up to 20 miles while traveling.
About the Uniden PRO 520 XL
This small Uniden PRO 520 XL packed with some great features for a basic radio and a great starter for people starting out with using CB Radios. What I love about this radio is that it is packed full of the basic needs and the knobs are easy to use and each one provides its own functionality. The front of the radio consists of a PA switch that you can use as a Public Address system for those who would like to use it in a workshop that I off course would never use.
Another great feature is the ANL switch that automatically reduces background noise caused by my cars’ engine and provides me with clear sound and only requires you to flip it up to use.
The CB comes with 40 channels and consists of emergency channels to the police, fire department, and, of course, the weather information. It offers you with a direct CH9 switch directly switching over to the emergency nine channels.
- This CB Radio Uniden PRO 520 XL comes with 40 channels including the instant emergency channel 9
- It provides you with four watts AM output power
- It has a public address capability and by pressing one knob with external speakers you can easily announce with it
- It has a LED display
- The Automatic Noise Limiter helps to reduce unwanted noise from the engine and other vehicles passing by
- With the adjustable Squelch, you can change the sensitivity of the radio and adjust it to whatever signal strength you are receiving
- With the adjustable RF Gain, you can fine-tune the receivers sensitivity to pick up signal providing you with enough strength, but not much background noise
- The Signal Strength Meter allows you to see the quality of the signal you are receiving
- It also has an RF Meter, front Microphone Connector, external speaker jack, and volume control
- It comes with a two color LED transmit indicator
- Uniden provides all customers with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty
Uniden PRO520XL Review
For some great Uniden PRO520XL Review, you can look at some of the customer feedback provided by Amazon. They offer you with more than 300 customers who have bought the range of Uniden CB radios.
The most customers are pleased with this product as it is affordable, can easily chat with others, and provides you with clear sound without any background disturbance.
One customer said that the PRO520XL is small and rugged as he has had is in the Jeep for several years, taking the beating of weather and off-road without having any problems with it and still works perfectly.
Pros and Cons of Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio
- The Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio is a great small basic radio ideal for beginners
- It is durable as some users have used it in their Jeeps while traveling off-road and in all elements of the weather
- The radio is easy to install and provides you with clear signal and receiving
- The radio is affordable
Personally, I cannot find any fault with the radio as I had mine tuned but does not require to have it done that was a personal decision.
If you are looking for a basic radio with no frills attached to it that is affordable, easy to use and install, then I recommend the Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio as it is still working perfectly in my vehicle when traveling.